Title: Head of Software Engineering
Reports to: CTO
LeagueApps is a fast-growing, venture-backed company that is using data and technology to build the largest community around youth and local sports. We count professional leagues, teams and athletes as investors and partners, and reach millions of people every day through our best-in-class SaaS platform. We’re looking for team members who want to be part of building the greatest local sports company in the world.
LeagueApps operates at the intersection of sports, technology and community. Our sports management platform powers youth and recreational sports organizations across the country, making sports seamless — in everything from registration to payments to communications. More than software solutions, we’re creating community, serving as a thought-leader and bringing insights on such important topics as encouraging girls in sports, injury prevention for youth players, and how technology will affect the future of sport.
We are seeking a Head of Software Engineering to join our Technology team in Arlington VA. The Head of Software Engineering will lead teams Software Engineers that build and extend our SaaS platform and mobile apps. The position will work closely with Technology, Product, UX, and other departments to design, develop, maintain, and ensure quality delivery of application services and products.
Our platform includes several features and apps, such as: integrated suite of web-based sports management tools, custom websites, mobile sites, mobile apps (iOS, Android), API integrations, IaaS, PaaS integrations, and more.
The ideal candidate is an experienced team manager who is comfortable managing multiple priorities, projects and personalities. You must also be an experienced engineering leader who can define the detailed technical requirements according to your implementation vision, and keep the development team on track.
You must be excited by the opportunity to scale technology that changes the way millions of people experience and enjoy playing sports.
- Provide technical leadership, vision, management, and mentoring for software engineers.
- Manage full cycle development process, from planning through release.
- Gain a sound understanding of our development environment, identify gaps and lead projects to close those gaps.
- Work closely with product managers and UX designers to understand and translate product requirements into technical specs for development.
- Drive technical development for sprints, based on project objectives and business requirements.
- Roll up sleeves and play hands on coding role where appropriate.
- Create processes and supporting metrics to ensure efficiency and quality of software development implementation and maintenance.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert for existing features and products.
- Participate in escalated defect triage and work with team to resolve prioritized defect fixes.
- Research and prototype new technologies and tools as we evolve our platform tech stack.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with a technical discipline.
- 10+ years of professional experience with 5+ years of experience leading software development teams and shipping software-based products or services.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams to deliver products and projects on tight deadlines.
- Experience coordinating complex product development cycles and software development schedule.
- Expertise with Java development, preferably using Spring, Hibernate, Struts 2, JSP, etc.
- Proficient in relational database modeling, SQL, and NoSql DBs.
- Proficiency with linux environments and the command line.
- Experience leveraging IaaS and PaaS services; AWS and Google Cloud Platform.
- A sports enthusiast who has a passion for sports and loves playing sports.
- Masters or Bachelor's in engineering degree.
- Broad technical understanding of application development, including familiarity with mobile technologies, web services and back-end application infrastructure.
- Familiarity and ability to learn facets of Mobile App development, using Xcode and Android Studio.
- History of taking ownership and successfully delivering results in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to prioritize well, communicate clearly and maintain focus for a strong, talented, and opinionated team.
- Demonstrated ability to understand technical concepts, manage tradeoffs and evaluate new ideas with stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment where continuous improvement is paramount.
- Track record of teamwork, earning trust, and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done.
Working at LeagueApps:
- Equity Grants
- Health Benefits! Medical, Dental, and Vision Health coverage
- We'll pay for your sports leagues!
- Computer, Cell Phone and Gym Subsidies
- Culture and work environment that emphasizes teamwork, passion, learning, and fun. Check out our Instagram to see for yourself
- Social impact opportunities through our FundPlay initiative that includes events, volunteering, and grant-makings